Saturday, November 20, 2010

Not Whining: Cloud Cult and HP7

So, I haven't written a blog in a while, because I haven't really had anything to say, and I'm sure Elizabeth is the only one who reads these (Hi), and if there was something I wanted to talk about it I figured I should save it for a vlog. But I don't feel like doing that tonight, and I was looking over all my old posts and for the msot part they are all very whiny, so I wanted to have some sort of update on my life that wasn't whiny and annoying. So I'm going to talk about my amazing night last night when I went to a Cloud Cult concert and then the midnight showing of Harry Potter 7. 

The Cloud Cult concert was AMAZING. I had forgotten how much I liked them, and they have an awesome, spectacular live show. Not only was the music amazing, they had people on stage painting on these big spinning canvases during the show and the music was amazing. I bought two of their albums, because they were a decent deal, and I would have bought at least one anyway and now I don't have to pay shipping. I had one of their albums already, but I stole it from my brother, and I think it was one of their older ones, because when they played songs from it I got really excited but not as many people seemed to know them. But it was great.

Harry Potter 7 was also great. It wasn't amazingly perfect, but as the movies go, it was good. For the most part it was quite true to the book. It moved fast, but there is an outrageous amount of stuff that happens in that book, it was kind of neccesary. I can't imagine what it would have been like in a single movie. I also noticed many parts where they didn't really explain things, or they just briefly mentioned them. It seemed much more dependent on people having read the books than the previous movies. (I look forward to seeing it again with my brother, who never made it past book 4) I also kept pointing out little inconsistencies in my head. (Technically, she modifies her parent's memories, she doesn't erase them. Actually, they apparate back to Grimmauld Place. etc...) But I also got nice little moments like haha, Scrimgeour, you're about to get dead. But along with that I knew exactly what was going to happen to Hedwig and Dobby. :'( The other really annoying thing is that they didn't really have full consistency between night and day. Like, there's the whole Silver Doe scene, at night, Ron returns, they destroy the Horcrux, but then when they get back to the tent to meet Hermione, it's daytime. um.... Yeah. So I wished they could have spent more time on pretty much everything, although I realize that not everyone would sit with me through a 5 hour movie. A lot of people would, but not everyone. However, I probably would have fallen asleep, seeing as came a little close as it was during a few parts. But as a whole, it was good and true to the books, assuming you've read them, and are still fairly familiar with the plot. And one other little thing that bothered me is the great line Kingsley's patronus says (at least they had something) in the book it is: THE MINISTRY HAS FALLEN. SCRIMGEOUR IS DEAD. THEY ARE COMING. in the movie they say THE MINISTER OF MAGIC IS DEAD. or it might have just been "the minister". either way it doesn't sound as good. I realize that not everyone knows who Scrimgeour is, but still. this is really long and I'm sure I could say more, but I am going to summarize and be done: It was a good movie, faithful to the books and it probably would have been even more amazing to someone who is a little more casual of a HP fan than me. But not too casual, because then they wouldn't follow what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment