Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Rambles about Music

So, it seems like everyone has at least one thing that's like their interest. And for a while I was hardcore into film and TV, and I'm still kind of, but less so. And I've realized that I'm really into music. I love to listen to music and to play music and to sing. I love the way music can make you feel, happy, sad, excited. I love music in cinematic settings and just as music. It can set the mood for anything. There are so many times when my life story can be told through song lyrics. 

The only problem is, I don't know how to be into music. I like to listen to it, and a lot of times I will characterize it by what it would look like in a cinematic setting, like what kind of scene this song would be in if it were in a movie. (I sometimes do this with places, too. Does everything lead back to film? maybe I should have joined yfp...) I've been compiling a mental list of albums that I want to buy and there are so many great bands in the world. (Why does pop music suck so much?) But what else does a person do? As much as I love music, and as much as I would love to be good at it, I am TERRIBLE at performing. I can't sing, I'm bad at guitar and piano and drums and all the other instruments. As much as I'd love to, I really can't see myself as a performer. Well, that's a lie. I can see myself, but I don't know how realistic it is. Sometimes I can sing average, sometimes it's terrible. I wonder, if I keep doing the youtube thing, if I would ever have the courage to upload a song. I wish Central had more periods in a day and I could take choir, just to see what happened, even though women's choir already has SO many people in it. I wish there was someone who I trusted enough to the point where, if I wrote a song or wanted to sing a song or something, I could do it for them and know that they would be completely honest and tell me if I was terrible (which I think would be the most likely outcome) or if I tried to write a song, they could help me figure out any music I stole from somewhere, because it seems almost guaranteed that if I (or most people for that matter) tried to write a song, some of it would be ripped off from somewhere because so much music is loaded into our subconscious. 

I'm basically a musician without the talent. Music inspires me and I'd really love to write songs and play music. I've already got a tentative title for my debut album, The Other Side of Town, and now Elizabeth and I have our band name, Reckless Abandon. :) I like it. 

This has been another really long post, but I think this time it was a little more cohesive and I feel like I might have actually got some coherent thoughts across. 
Bye

Songs of the Moment:
"Creep" and "Believe in Yourself" as performed by Sons of Admirals
"Don't Look Back" and "I Hate Mario Kart Wii" by Alex Day
like I said, I like music.

Quote of the Moment:
The entire lyrics of all 4 songs of the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment